BMW battery discharging while sitting is a problem known to many. There are several factors involved, but luckily most of them are easy to solve!
Today though I’ll be addressing the root cause of the problem. Keep reading.
What Does BMW “battery discharging while stopped” mean?
BMW “battery discharging while stopped” means that your car’s battery is not being charged while the car is parked.
This can be caused by a faulty alternator or a faulty battery. It can also be caused by a bad starter motor and/or ignition switch.
If you have a BMW, you probably know how important it is to keep your car charged and running well. You should always check your battery when you notice that your car won’t start or if there are other problems.
A dead battery can cause many different issues with your vehicle, so it’s important to know how to jumpstart it if necessary. You should also know what other issues might be causing the problem so you can address them appropriately.
What causes the “BMW battery discharging while stopped” message?
If your BMW is discharging the battery while it is stopped, this could be caused by a number of different things. Here are the possible causes:
The most common cause of battery discharge is a faulty alternator. The alternator is supposed to charge the battery when the engine is running, but if it’s not working properly, it may not be charging the battery.
Intelligent Battery Sensor Malfunction
A faulty Intelligent Battery Sensors can also cause this problem. These sensors monitor the voltage in each of your car’s 12-volt outlet and send the information back to the main computer.
If there’s anything wrong with these sensors, they won’t be able to communicate effectively with each other and may cause a problem like this one.
Loose/Corroded Battery Terminals:
If the battery terminals are loose or corroded, it can also cause this problem. It’s important to check the condition of your battery terminals and clean them if necessary.
You can use a wire brush to remove any corrosion and then tighten up the terminals with an adjustable wrench.
Damaged Junction Box
The junction box is responsible for connecting all electrical components in your car. If it has been damaged due to wear and tear or other factors, then it can cause problems with the charging system of your car.
This means that your battery will discharge while stopped because there is no power coming from it.
In order to solve this issue, you will need to get a new junction box installed by an expert mechanic who specializes in these types of repairs.
The battery is what provides the power for your car’s electrical system. If it has been damaged or is failing, then this can cause problems with starting and charging your vehicle.
In order to fix this issue, you will need to get a new battery installed, batteries do wear out after some time and BMW batteries are known to last 3-5 years,
If you have checked all these things and still cannot find out what is causing this problem, then it might be time for you to take your vehicle to a professional mechanic who will be able to diagnose and fix the problem for you.
What to do when your BMW battery is discharging?
This is a common problem with BMWs. The battery will discharge while the car is sitting. This is because the battery is being used to power other items in the vehicle, like the clock and radio.
Here are some things you can do to fix this issue:
1. Remove all items from your car that are plugged into the cigarette lighter, including cell phones, GPS units and mp3 players.
2. Disconnect everything from your cigarette lighter (iPod chargers, cell phone chargers).
3. Turn off all lights inside the car (headlights, dashboard lights).
4. Turn off all electronics (radio, CD player).
5. Close all windows and sunroofs on convertible models (if equipped).
Can you drive with a BMW Battery discharging?
Yes, you can drive with a battery that is discharging. However, it is not recommended.
Discharging the BMW battery will cause it to lose its charge and ultimately die. This means when your car needs to start up again, it might not have enough power to do so.
If your car does not have enough power to start up then you cannot drive it until you get your battery replaced.
How do you fix a BMW battery discharge?
If the battery of your BMW is discharged, you should know that it’s not a big deal to fix it. Even if you don’t have any experience with cars, you can manage to do it yourself.
1. Don’t panic! The first thing you should do is not to panic — even if your car won’t start, the battery may still be charged enough to start it without any problems. So try starting your car again and keep trying until it starts up. If that doesn’t work, then there must be something wrong with the battery itself or with one of its components.
2. Check the connections between the battery and other components in your car (alternator, starter etc.). Make sure they all are connected firmly and properly assembled with no loose ends or corrosion on them which could prevent them from making good contact with each other.
3. Check all fuses inside the fuse box and replace those that are out of order or damaged by accident (if any). Also make sure there are no loose or broken wires anywhere in your car’s electrical system — they could have caused an electrical short-circuit somewhere else which prevented your battery from getting charged properly.
If none of these steps helped, then there may be a problem with your alternator itself, so you will need to take it to a mechanic for professional diagnosis and repair.