The BMW i8 is a plug-in hybrid sports car that has gained a reputation for its unique design, impressive performance, and eco-friendliness. When considering purchasing a car, reliability is an important factor to consider.
In this article, we will explore the reliability of the BMW i8, including its common issues, how long the BMW i8 last, and whether is it worth getting a BMW i8. Keep reading.
BMW i8 Overview
The BMW i8 is a revolutionary hybrid sports car that has served as the flagship for BMW’s “i” brand. It was first introduced in 2014 and has since become one of the most sought-after vehicles on the market.
The two-door coupe combines an electric motor with a turbocharged three-cylinder gasoline engine with an electric motor and battery pack to produce a combined output of 369 horsepower, allowing for acceleration from 0 to 60 miles per hour in around 4.2 seconds.
On top of this impressive powertrain, the BMW i8 also features cutting-edge technology including driver assistance systems, Park Assist, Comfort Access keyless entry system, and more.
Its unique design featuring scissor doors makes it instantly recognizable on any road or track. With its combination of futuristic styling and advanced engineering, it’s no wonder why so many drivers are drawn to this innovative vehicle from BMW.
Are BMWs i8 reliable?
Yes, the BMW i8 is generally considered to be a reliable car. The overall reliability of the car has been rated positively by many car experts and owners alike.
Like any car, the BMW i8 may experience occasional issues, but these problems are not widespread or significant enough to affect the car’s overall reputation for reliability.
However, it is important to note that regular maintenance is key to keeping any car running smoothly. This includes following the recommended maintenance schedule, such as oil changes and tire rotations, and addressing any issues promptly before they become more serious.
What are the Common Problems with the i8?
Some of the common problems with the BMW i8 are:
- Electrical issues: Some owners have reported problems with the i8’s electrical system, including issues with the car’s battery and charging system. This can cause the car to lose power or fail to start.
- Suspension problems: Some i8 owners have reported issues with the car’s suspension, including problems with the shock absorbers and struts. This can lead to a rough ride and poor handling.
- Airbag problems: Some i8 models have been recalled due to issues with the car’s airbag system. This can cause the airbags to fail to deploy in the event of an accident.
- Fuel leak: There have been reports of fuel leaks in some i8 models. This can be a serious safety issue, as it can lead to a fire or explosion.
- Faulty sensors: Some i8 owners have reported issues with the car’s sensors, which can cause warning lights to appear on the dashboard and affect the car’s performance.
- Brake squeaking: Some i8 owners have reported that the car’s brakes can be noisy and prone to squeaking.
It’s important to note that these problems are relatively rare and that most i8 owners have reported very few issues with their vehicles. As with any vehicle, regular maintenance and timely repairs can help prevent many of these issues from occurring.
How long does the BMW i8 last?
The lifespan of a BMW i8 can vary depending on a variety of factors such as driving habits, maintenance, and environmental conditions. However, with proper care and maintenance, the BMW i8 can last for many years.
If properly maintained according to the guidelines given by the manufacturer, the BMW i8 can easily go up to 200 000–250 000 miles.
In order to prolong its lifespan even further, regular inspections should be conducted in order to identify minor issues before they become major ones requiring costly repairs or replacements.
Additionally, make sure you always use genuine OEM parts when replacing components so as to guarantee better quality and durability over time; this will also help reduce any potential problems arising from using aftermarket alternatives.
Is it worth getting a BMW i8?
When it comes to buying a BMW i8, it’s crucial to take into account your individual requirements and tastes. The decision should be based on several factors, including:
- Car’s performance
- Fuel efficiency
- Price, and practicality.
If you prioritize top-notch performance and a unique, futuristic design, then the i8 may be an ideal choice for you.
However, if you’re looking for a car that offers more practicality and affordability, then you may want to consider other options.